Monday, March 8, 2010

Birchwood Cafe

Guest Review
My biggest criticism of the Birchwood Cafe is that it is too good. I know that sounds odd for a restaurant review, but the success of this place makes it almost unbearable to eat there. It is cafeteria style, which means you order your food at the counter, and then find a seat. This stresses me out. I don't like having to go into a restaurant with seat finding strategies. "Ok, I'll order, and you go find a seat." Do you cut in front of people who are not using that strategy? Or, do you wait your turn, all the while watching more eager diners snatch up the scarce spots to enjoy Birchwood's delicious offerings? What if your dining party wants to pay separately? It's just too much for me. Plus, I can't enjoy my food knowing that there are people, circling around like vultures, waiting for my spot.

As I said, it's the quality of their food which makes this such a problem. If it were a worse restaurant, I could just write it off completely. But it is really, really good. They use fresh and local ingredients, and have an unwavering commitment to the community. Unlike my brother, I like supporting local businesses, am willing to pay more for organic food, and try to "shop ethically" whenever possible.
And, they have wine and beer! I probably couldn't design a better restaurant for myself. Except, in my design, there would be servers. Come on Birchwood! I can't savor your succulent offerings while developing an ulcer from your hungry on lookers.

You may say that the problem is mine, and not the restaurant's. I'm sure that I am not the only one who feels this way. In fact, after brunch there this Sunday (divine Turkey, Mushroom & Wild Rice Crepes), my girlfriend vowed to never go back. We couldn't even sit and enjoy a second cup of freshly brewed Peace Coffee.

All that being said, I do recommend the Birchwood Cafe. At least give it a try, and decide for yourself if you can handle the constant stress. Maybe you are better equipped for that sort of thing. If not, head over to Common Roots Cafe - another right-minded local eatery.

2 comments:

Donald said...

This is the same problem I have with French Meadow, another fine restaurant that gives me an ulcer because I'm always fixated on where I'm going to sit once I get my food.

I'll have to check this place out. Do they do takeout?

tep said...

take-out never even occurred to me!