Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Midtown Mission Week 2: Sonora Grill

I'm not sure how to describe Sonora Grill, other than to just say that it was delicious.

Hold on... I just looked up the word "Sonora" and learned that it is a state in Mexico, so I guess this is a Mexican restaurant, but you wouldn't know that from the menu that is shockingly devoid of burritos and tacos. In fact, I didn't know what anything on the menu was, but luckily there is a big board on the wall that has pictures of just about everything, so I was able to figure out what looked good. I ended up getting the Pork Guajillo bocadillo, which is a "Spanish South American style sandwich, served with fries."

Anyway, it looked good in the picture, and as you can tell from the picture I took, it wasn't just good, it was amazing.


It was pulled pork of some sort topped with greens and some kind of creamy cilantro sauce. It came with french fries and one little container of pickles and another little container of the same sauce. The sandwich was already drenched with sauce, so I just used that to dip my fries in, but I did put the pickles on the sandwich. Long story short, it was awesome. The pork was perfectly cooked, flavorful, and incredibly juicy, and while the sauce was very mild in flavor, it perfectly complimented the meat.

The fries were fine. They did their job, but they didn't taste as though they were necessarily freshly cut.

And, frankly, that's all I have to say about Sonora Grill. Just go there. It was great. The only really complaint I have is that it was so good, I may have to abandon my mission to try every restaurant in the Midtown Market and just eat there every time.

No comments: