Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The Donut Cooperative

(This restaurant has closed)

 This place was ok.

The Donut Cooperative is some kind of cooperatively owned bakery where the employees all own a stake in the company, and everything is made daily from locally sourced ingredients. I love their politics, respect their business ethics, and always want to support small businesses that support their communities, but I'm sorry to say that their donuts were kind of mediocre.

Now, I say that in the sense that all donuts are good and none are bad, by virtue of the fact that they are donuts. I'll happily accept a donut from a grocery store or Super America, even if it had fallen on the floor. But while all donuts are eatable and enjoyable, not all donuts are created equal, and these were nothing special. In fact... they were kind of forgettable.

I got a "Strawberry Preserve" donut that I assumed was a jelly donut, but it was actually just a cake donut with strawberry preserves stuffed into the hole. When I picked it up, almost all of the preserves fell through the hole onto my plate. I managed to pick up most of the preserves by dipping, but I was still annoyed that the filling wasn't actually inside the donut. And then I bit into it, and it was pretty try and tasteless.

My friend Sarah got a Maple Walnut donut, and it was the same dry, bland cake donut, only covered with some maple frosting and crushed walnuts. It was a little better than mine, but it still wasn't that good. But, again, we ate them both because they're donuts.

I also got a chocolate chip cookie, which was the best part of the meal, but still not altogether fantastic. It was ok. 

We also both got coffee that was pretty good, and sat in the cafe which was cozy and cute and bright.

I had heard great things about this place, and came away unimpressed. This was Sarah's second visit, and she had actually taken some convincing to come with me because she had been unimpressed on her previous visit as well. We both agreed that her original impression was right, and that we never needed to go there again.

No comments: