Sunday, May 6, 2012

Breakfast at Common Roots Cafe

I'm currently sitting at Common Roots Cafe, sipping on some Peace Coffee and digesting my breakfast. There: I've managed to make myself look like an annoying hispter and completely disgusting at the same time. Anyway, this was a good breakfast and Common Roots Cafe is a great place, which you'll already know if you read my original review way back when.

Here's what I got: a fried egg and cheese sandwich on a garlic bagel. It came with side of grapes and a slice of orange -- which I haven't eaten yet, but I should even though I'm not excited about them -- and then I smothered it all in Sriracha.

(Interesting tidbit: Until about five seconds ago, I had no idea that it wasn't spelled "Siracha." Sriracha? How do you pronounce that? Certainly not the way I've always said it, which was like "sir ah cha." Sir Ahchah was a Knight from Camelot, right?)

Back to the point: This was a good sandwich. The egg was perfectly cooked, although I might ask for the yolk to be runny next time since that's the way I prefer it, but most people seem to think I'm weird about that. Not sure what kind of cheese was on it, but it tasted mild and melted very nicely. And, of course, the bagel was great. Common Roots always wins the award for Best Bagel every year in various local magazines, a category which seems to exist only because Common Roots exists. Of course they have good bagels, the cafe's owner is a nice Jewish boy from the East Coast. Do these bagels deserve to win awards? Sure. Why not? I wouldn't give them an award for the best thing ever, but best bagel in Minneapolis, sure. I'm also a nice (half) Jewish boy from the East coast so I also know a thing or two about bagels. These are great, but I've probably had better... but maybe not out here in the Midwest.

And Peace Coffee is also great. I'm currently drinking the Roots Blend, which sounds like a blend specifically made by PC for CR. It's a nice, medium bodied cup, even though the description on their website calls it a dark roast. Anyway, Peace Coffee is another great, locally owned company and I've never had a bad cup.

I've had their bagel sandwich before, but the previous time I ordered it with the optional Bison sausage, because that sound delicious. And it was delicious, but nearly impossible to eat, since it wasn't a patty but links that were cut into chunks that didn't work on a sandwich. They weren't uniformly cut so they didn't fit and kept falling off and making the entire thing into a mess, so I ended up taking them off and eating them by themselves. It was still good, but I still recommend going with just the sandwich, saving yourself the extra $1.50 and the added mess. 

So how good was this breakfast? Well... pretty good, considering it was only about five bucks. But the best thing I can say about it is that I came here this morning with my laptop because I was going to write about a couple other things (for this blog and my other), and ended up writing this because I wanted to rave about it.

No comments: