Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Sushi Tango

The new Sushi Tango has finally opened its doors, right across the hallway from the location of the old Sushi Tango. The menu is more extensive, the space is larger and more comfortable, and the ambiance is brighter and looks more trendy. So rest assured that the wait is over and it was well worth it. Sushi Tango is back and, I'm happy to say, it's probably going to be better than ever.

Die hard fans of the old location might need a period of adjustment as they get used to the new decor and a vibe that, frankly, seems like a different restaurant all together, but much of the wait staff is the same and the food tasted as good as ever. The sushi still tasted fresh and delicious and even though the egg rolls are now called spring rolls, they tasted the same, albeit with a different sauce. The service was quite slow -- and the appetizers arrived along with the main course, which I absolutely hate -- but they did just open their doors a week or so ago, so I'm willing to give them time to work out the kinks of the new establishment. Though, to be sure, Tango's service has never been particularly fast, which is fine because the servers are friendly and personable and the food is always worth the wait. However, the new location is larger which might make it harder to flag down your server when you're ready for that second bottle of sake.

Along with the familiar menu of fantastic, original sushi rolls and traditional Japanese entrees are new Benihana-style hibachi tables which I did not try, nor did anybody while we were there. There is also a patio overlooking the Calhoun Square parking garage which looks cozy and big, but also completely devoid of tables. When I asked the server when the patio was going to open, she told me they still haven't received the ok from the city to serve food on the patio, so it remains to be seen when that will happen. I hope they sort it out soon, because nice, comfortable patios that aren't just tables set out on the sidewalk are few and far between in Uptown.

The bathrooms were also a little strange, with two mens rooms, one with just a urinal and another with just a toilet. I don't want to sound crass, but if you find yourself having to seriously take a number two, make sure you choose the door that says "mens/handicapped." A long sink under a dual-sided mirror separates the bathroom areas, allowing men and women to wash their hands across from one another. I suppose this might be fun for coeds on Saturday night, but I found the placement of the faucets right under the mirror to be quite awkward. I had to lean back as I ducked down to keep my face from hitting the mirror as I reached for the faucet. You'll see what I mean when you go there and wash your hands.

But little quirks aside, it's a lovely space housing a fantastic restaurant. If you've never been to Sushi Tango, it's one of the best sushi restaurants in the city and you're in for a real treat. If you have been to the old location, rest assured that there has been no noticeable decline in quality in their move to a bigger, better location. Sushi Tango remains my second favorite sushi restaurant after Nami, and my very favorite in Uptown. It also has a fantastic happy hour, which I discussed here.

5 out of 5

No comments: